Thursday, August 22, 2013

First Day of K-5

I was a little teary all week, just thinking about them starting school 5 days a week and beginning a new phase of life. I kept reminding myself it wasn't "big" school or real all day kindergarten, just a K-5 program which made me feel better. We picked out everything the night before, knowing the morning would be rushed. I made them a big french toast breakfast, and took a bunch of pictures. They wanted me to talk them in, and the new building is so nice.  We were greeted at the door by Ms. Leslie who said "welcome to kindergarten!"  OK that wasn't necessary, it's just K-5, right?!  Across both classroom doors were the same signs and the teachers said the same greeting. OK guess I was fooling myself!  We dropped off Kiley first, she went right in and started unpacking with me kneeling down saying "have a great day honey, come give me a hug bye" and no movement from her. Ms. Jen finally said "go give your mommy a hug bye. "  Cason was next and was so excited to see his teacher Ms. Lynne and tell her about everything in his bag.  He, also, didn't look back.

I got in the car thinking OK, that was easy. Turned it on and the country song "your gonna miss these days" was playing and I burst into tears, crying the whole way to the Y. Remembering when they were first born, that summer when the song was popular dad used to always say that to us.  Not sure I do miss those exact days, but do miss them being babies! After getting to the Y, I seriously considered the idea of running into the nursery and stealing a baby!

Their first day was a success, and they were all smiles when I picked them up. Kiley was much more informative than Cason, and wanted to tell me about all her new friends, and how Addison got jealous because she was playing with her new friend Olivia and they were both fighting over her to sit by her at lunch.  I asked her what she learned and she said she didn't know. Shocker!  Cason told me about getting to play with Ethan and Tommy and learning to spell the word "yes." He told Paul more about his day on the phone and heard him saying "I wish you could have come to my class today so all my friends could see how you make B talk, they would have loved that."  B is his bear he got to bring to class today for show and tell. Kiley took Winter after much debate on which stuffed animal was her favorite, after going through 25 of hers she told me I should just buy her a new one to take. Thank goodness I talked her into Winter. I also heard Cason telling Paul on the phone he wishes he had a car and could drive so he could drive to see him. Think he is missing his daddy, 5 days gone is a lot!!

I am so thankful for being able to send them to a small Christian school this year, where they learn bible verses everyday, and can still say the blessing before lunch. Both them and me will have a year to adjust before sending them to "big" school!  I am still a bit sad, since having another baby will never happen, and my baby/toddler/ preschool days are over.  But it is hard to stay sad when they are so excited. I have already signed up to volunteer every Tuesday in one of their classrooms, for all the field trips, and to be the room mom. Can you say I might be having a hard time letting go?!











 Last week before school activities included McWane Science Center, the new dino exhibit at the zoo, the movies, and swimming at pool with water slides, lots of fun!













No comments:

Post a Comment